Understanding residence and contact orders


When couples or spouses separate or divorce, one of the most difficult things is often agreeing on what will happen to the children. Ideally, couples will come to an agreement about where the child will live and when they will have contact with other people in their lives.

Sometimes, however, agreement is not possible and the matter may end up in court.

In this section we have set out some useful information about the different issues that the court may decide, including:

  • Residence (who the child will live with)
  • Contact (who the child will have contact with, and when)
  • Specific issues

If you need help reaching an agreement, or if you want to be represented at court, Contact Law can put you in touch with specialist family solicitors to help you. We also have family mediators and collaborative law solicitors who can help you to try to resolve the issue amicably. If you would like to get legal advice please call us on 0800 1777 162.

Quick enquiry form
Area of law:

More information:

Contact Law supports the endeavours of STAE and commends all the work they are undertaking to assist in the plight of the Asian Elephant


We use cookies on the Contact Law site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.