Renting property FAQs


Although it seems that everybody is insisting that buying property is essential, there will always be a significant rental market. That is especially true in big cities where house prices are higher, and in university towns with a large proportion of students.

Indeed, there are very few people who don't rent at some point in their lives. The vast majority of us will rent on our own, with a partner or with friends for several years at the very least, and there are plenty of situations in which legal advice is useful - and often necessary. And this is for both tenants and landlords.

Indeed, yours truly had to negotiate a settlement with his landlord through a solicitor in 2011, due to a combination of poor maintenance of the property and withheld rent.

You could need help with:

  • Poor property maintenance (gas safety certificates, damp, broken locks etc)
  • Unpaid rent from tenants
  • Deposits
  • Agents fees
  • Eviction

We have put together some FAQs which should give you some advice whether you're a landlord or a tenant. If you feel that you need a solicitor to resolve the matter, then call us on 0808 129 5759 and we will be able to find you one in your local area.

Contact Law supports the endeavours of STAE and commends all the work they are undertaking to assist in the plight of the Asian Elephant


We use cookies on the Contact Law site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.