Five more FAQs on vehicle accidents


What injuries can result from vehicle accidents?

Unfortunately, when vehicles collide or when a moving vehicle hits a stationary object drivers and passengers can sustain serious injuries. For example, whiplash is an injury to the cervical spine or neck area, caused by an abrupt forward or backward jerking of the head. This condition can be painful and, on average, last for a few weeks. Accident victims could also suffer severed limbs, broken bones, lacerations and burns.

Can I claim personal injury compensation?

If you have suffered whiplash or another injury in a vehicle accident, due to the negligence of another road user, then you may be entitled to claim personal injury compensation. You can claim regardless of whether the driver of the car you were in caused the accident, or whether it was the fault of the driver of another vehicle. It will help your claim if you can take photographs of the accident site and the resting place of the vehicles. You should also report the incident to the police.

Do I need a specialist solicitor?

A personal injury solicitor can give expert advice about the practicability of your claim, and the process involved in pursuing legal action. If they consider that your claim has a 60% chance of success or more, a specialist solicitor may offer you a no-win, no-fee agreement. This means you would not have to pay legal fees should you lose your claim. However, there can be other costs involved and such an agreement should be discussed with your solicitor in advance.

What happens if I am partly to blame for a vehicle accident?

If you were partly to blame for your vehicle accident and injury, you may still be able to make a claim. The court will consider the percentage of fault for which you are responsible, and deduct that percentage amount from any compensatory award. Your personal injury solicitor will be able to assess the amount of compensation you may expect to receive if your case is only partly successful, due to contributory negligence.

What kind of compensation could I receive?

Personal injury compensation can cover lost wages, the loss of future wages and extra expenditure, such as medical care. Moreover, you can be compensated for the pain and suffering you experienced, and the cost of replacing or repairing any damaged property, such as a vehicle.

For more information and for a chance to speak to a solicitor about your situation call us on 0800 1777 162 and let our case handlers find the right solicitor for your needs. Our service is free. For further information, have a look at the menu on the right-hand side or the search function.

0800 1777 162
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Area of law:
Brands we work with

Brands we work with

Contact Law supports the endeavours of STAE and commends all the work they are undertaking to assist in the plight of the Asian Elephant


We use cookies on the Contact Law site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.