Entertainment licences


If your business proposes to provide entertainment facilities for patrons, such as playing recorded music, performing live music, showing films, karaoke or theatrical performances, you will need to obtain the correct licence.

Entertainment licences have now been replaced by the single regime of Premises Licences under the Licensing Act 2003, which also allow for the sale of alcohol.

In this section we have set out the main things you need to know about licensing of entertainment activities and premises, such as when you need a licence, how to apply for a licence, which bodies you need to apply to, and what powers they have.

Information on appealing licensing decisions and enforcement of licences is located both within this section and in the General Information section of this topic.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on entertainment licences, we can put you in touch with a local solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help please call us on 0800 1777 162.

Quick enquiry form
Area of law:

More information:

Contact Law supports the endeavours of STAE and commends all the work they are undertaking to assist in the plight of the Asian Elephant


We use cookies on the Contact Law site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.